The Eternal City


Rome


I took the Ninja Monkey on a train trip out to suburban Rome in search of a shopping mall. I was interested to see an Italian take on the mall, it was raining and I needed a few things. We never made it there. We waited for so long for a bus from the train station to the mall we just gave up. We actually had a great time together. We saw a huge apartment block in the process of being demolished.  One entire side was missing so we could see into the rooms. There were new buildings everywhere and signs of more construction.  I can’t say whether this was good or bad. I don’t know anything about the local community and its economy. I am really interested in architecture from a social and political perspective so I was happy to be able to see the suburbs. In so many European cities apartment blocks are built right out to the city fringe. This is in stark contrast to Australian cities where developers and governments have a penchant for building new brick houses in new suburbs far from public infrastructure and amenities.


Six weeks is not enough to see Italy let alone understand it, but it is a good stretch of time to begin unpacking some of the preconceptions one has about a place and its people.



I can’t speak for Italians in general but the people we have met have been very generous with their time and very helpful. The few exceptions have been laughable. The woman who runs to local pasta shop has a face like a wet weekend and a manner to match. Despite being the only customer in the shop it was clear serving me was a terrible inconvenience.  I now understand why so few people shop there.  The second exception was a woman at the Gallery of Modern Art who behaved as though an art gallery was a place where one should conduct oneself as though at the funeral of a pious old aunt.  When she hushed the Ninja Monkey I just laughed.  He was being particularly calm at that moment sharing an opinion about a marble statue.  If she had been with us at the Museum of Archeology in Napoli she could have shared our discussion about the extent of the penis collection excavated from Pompeii and Herculaneum. 


Comments

Popular Posts