Old, New, Traditional, Contemporary


With the 31 Days: Blur the Lines exhibition drawing to a close I have been focused on looking for Residency opportunities in Europe 2014 and working on the ongoing Imprinting Culture project.

Around the 1st of February 2014 my partner, son and I will depart Australia for a 12 month adventure. First we will head to South America then Europe and  North America. My Partner will Home School the Ninja Monkey.  It is all very exciting but the preparation is rather daunting. By First World standards we are not wealth. We will need to cut costs and make savings where we can but that is apart of the adventure.

The primary reason for taking this trip is for me to expand my art practice.  In particular, the Imprinting Culture project.

Scouring the internet for locations, connections, inspiration and ideas I have been thinking hard about how I will use tools, material,  technology and techniques on our journey.  


What are some of the most easily accessible materials?  Recycled paper & glue.





Quilling is a technique I have taken an interest in recently as I have seen it used in contemporary artworks and love the use of traditional techniques. Originally practised only by noble women with time on their hands and access to the rare material paper, I love that it is considered a craft and can now be practised by so many people as paper is so common yet is not in vogue.  

Pop over to my Pinterest page to see some other examples of quilling.

I think the image above shows my preoccupation with the built environment and the meshing of planned and organic growth.


By using an existing image as a canvas the image can develop in interesting ways. This image of a bowl of pasta is the rather grubby cover of an old cook book.


Comments

Popular Posts