No, I am really back.





Landing back in Sydney has been tough.  After swanning around Europe for a year I have found it hard to get back into the swing of things.  In fact I have been questioning "the swing of things".

I can safely confess the last six months has been pretty miserable for me but things are starting to improve.  My Solo Exhibition "Stone Circles" opened at Gaffa Gallery in Sydney on Thursday the 3rd of September 2015 and ran until the 14th of September. Liz McCrystal, Co-Curatorial Manager at Gaffa was wonderful and so easy to work with. The Gaffa staff are super efficient and organised.

Liz McCrystal is also an artist so understands both sides of the relationship. Here is the link to her website ELIZABETH MCCRYSTAL.

Sardinha, Tanya Ljubic, 2014, block ink on paper.


I am surrounded by amazing Artists with children. They get how difficult it can be to balance the needs of the creative mind and the needs of a child.  The Ninja Monkey is now eight years old.  He is more independent and able to contribute to  domestic operations but is also less compliant and more argumentative. This is not a negative, though it can feel like it at times. He is learning to navigate life with out a chaperone.

I find myself looking for role models. I haven't had to look to far. Sydney's Inner West is home to many such role models and I have had the pleasure of working with some of them and made the acquaintance of others.

Robyn Chiles and Angela Hutchings are both artists and mothers. They run Drawn to Seeing a fantastic programme run during school holidays.  Robyn is also the current Chairperson of WAVA the Wilkins Association of Visual Arts.   WAVA  have lead the way in bringing great art projects to the Wilkins Public School.

Liza Hölzl  is also a talented and dynamic artist with kids. Liza  juggles her art practice with teaching and running workshops at the Bakehouse Studio.

Working alone can be tricky. I really enjoy the quiet time to think and reflect but I miss the interaction with other artists when in a group setting. Sometimes the mental fatigue brought about by Ninja negotiations renders me capable only of drinking coffee and doodling on the ipad.

So I start seeking artist residencies again.  This year has slipped by quickly.  What I have finally accepted is that as an artist and a sole trader it is important to have a plan.

I'll just pop the kettle on and get back to you later about my plan.....





Comments

  1. Hi Tanya!

    You may find the work of Lenka Clayton inspiring. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts