Zidnjaca

roughly translated as "wall advice"

While visiting the Ethnographic Museum in Zagreb I saw an exhibition curated by Irena Kolbas 
"Vic o PlavuĊĦi" (A Joke about a Blonde). The exhibition addresses gender stereotypes.

It was an interesting exhibition.  In the wider contemporary art scene perhaps not a show stopper but well conceived and curated. Croatia is in so many ways a forward thinking dynamic place, but gender stereotypes abound. 

What grabbed my attention was a display of Zidnjaca. These are embroidered tea towel sized pieces displaying domestic scenes with "appropriate" aphorisms. 

These little gems of sexist wisdom could be found all over the country. They are now found in museums and in the hands of collectors of kitsch.  I just had to have one.

This one is from Northern Croatia and roughly translates..  
"A meal cheerfully prepared will be praised by hubby." 

I must admit to loving the literal translation 
"Dining cooked all in jest, but the hubby that it praises."



I can think of a few alternatives for my own kitchen. 

"A meal cheerfully prepared is called a mud pie."

"A fun meal to prepare is toast."

" I'll cook if you wash up."


Comments

Popular Posts