July in Ireland

A month in Ireland has been wonderful. I have had a chance to get some work done and see some amazing sites and sights.

Our accommodation in nr Skibbereen, West co Cork



I had an opportunity to see where some of my mother's family come from. I don't feel an overwhelming urge to seek out my family history. I don't care to attribute any of my traits to long dead descendants. What I find interesting is how artefacts are interpreted and then conclusions drawn about how our ancestors lived.








For a species so adept at brutality and slaughter we seem to have consistently practised complex rituals marking the death of kith and kin, even back in the megalithic era.  I see a connection between some of my experiences in Portugal and Ireland and both these countries have significant neolithic and megalithic archeological sites.

Please take a look at my video ( no audio). containing images of the landscape and of work created this month experimenting with blockprinting.

5000yr old Knowth passage tomb, Ireland






 16th Century, Capela Dos Ossos (Chapel of bones), Evora, Portugal.

Comments

  1. Tanya:
    I have only now begun to browse your blog and am commenting late. I was struck with your depiction of textures in your prints inspired by Ireland and its ancient art. I like the way you have handled these textures in block printing. I am challenged to depict similar textures in the exterior surfaces of stone and stucco buildings in my watercolors. My approach is to try to realistically paint the light and shadow effects on the uneven surfaces. Your handling is a much flatter depiction and more abstract in a sense and very much in tune with the ancient carvers. Thank you for producing that video.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts