I'm Back!!!

After 11 months abroad I have made it back to Sydney. 

2014 was a great year for me. I met so many inspirational people and saw so many interesting things. A huge thanks  to  Karine Argile and the team at  Can Serrat in Spain.  Carolien van der Laan &Ludger van der Eerden, at Foundation OBRAS Portugal.

At both these residencies I had the time and space to work. I started off slowly in Can Serrat. Chilling out and enjoying the company and conversation of fellow residents. I learned some printmaking techniques from the wonderful  Toni Mosley and started working in 2D again. I also discovered the wonders of Catalan food and wine.

At Foundation OBRAS Carolien and Ludger created a warm and welcoming environment for my family and me. I was very productive and enjoyed my time in the studio while the Ninja Monkey and his dad made use of the pool and explored the local area.
Granada, Spain 2014

In Ireland and the UK we stayed in Airbnb properties. If you haven't tried Airbnb you should. We stayed in 13 Airbnb properties in 2014. While in Ireland & the UK we finally had access to good strong tea!! Fueled by my favourite beverage (yes I drink a lot of tea) I did a lot of block printing and sketching.

Two months in Croatia visiting family and taking advantage of the warm waters of the Adriatic allowed time to explore aspects of folk culture and its place in a post communist society. In Ireland and Croatia I began to steer back to my original path tying contemporary cultural identity to traditional needlework techniques.

In late October I had to purchase another large suitcase to carry my new collection of old linen and new works. 2 months in Seattle USA began with Halloween. The Ninja Monkey was so excited and had been talking about it for months. He was not disappointed. Thanksgiving followed a month later and then Christmas. This was a great time for us. I had a break from my art practice. Instead we embraced family life with our dear friends.

Another large suitcase was purchased in late December to carry the Christmas Lego haul. Then on January 1st 2015 we arrived back in Sydney.

So what is install for 2015? Lots of studio work, a solo exhibition in September and who knows? Can't wait to find out.


Cheers,
Tarn






Comments

Popular Posts